Monday, November 3, 2014

Back to the past for a minute (OK, maybe five minutes)

Hockey play-by play on the radio is something that is always evolving for me, I've come a long long way since I called my first game in 1995 (although that was on cable access TV) and I still have a long way to go. I have my role models that I look up to, but I always try to develop my own style. One of the things I have learned to do is to force myself to take pauses during my play-by-play of hockey broadcasts during live play so that my analyst can jump in with his commentary... The cardinal rule of hockey play by play (and any sport for that matter) is that the PBP talks during play, and the analyst speaks at whistles and play stoppages. We try to adhere to that at Merrimack but there are times that a relevant point needs to be made by the analyst during play, and when that happens Mike will tap me on the shoulder to let me know he wants to say something.

There is nothing like hockey play by play. The game is so fast that sometimes you talk for what seems like minutes on end without catching your breath. 

Here's our broadcast of Merrimack's OT period of their 3-2 win at Boston University on March 12, 2011. The Warriors won it early in the extra session. I hope there are many more calls like this in the future.

https://archive.org/details/MerrimackAtBostonUniversityot3-12-10

No comments:

Post a Comment